Breast size, shape and proportion play a unique role in every woman’s self-perception, sense of physical balance, femininity, and confidence.
It’s very natural to want to retain an appearance of youthfulness and beauty for as long as possible. Every year, more and more people seem to be seeking breast surgery.
Breast augmentation is the third most popular cosmetic surgery performed in the United States, ranking just behind rhinoplasty (nose shaping) and liposuction. Its popularity suggests that women from all walks of life are turning to breast augmentation to create the breasts they’ve always wanted-or had at one time and lost. There are many reasons patients opt for this procedure, but below are the top five.
Reason #1: To increase overall size. Let’s face it: Some women are simply unhappy with the breasts Mother Nature gave them. With the prevalence of breast augmentation surgery and its relative affordability, more women are choosing to do something about their unhappiness rather than learn to live with it. Augmentation may seem like a drastic step to some people, but the confidence that comes with loving your body can impact all areas of your life.
Reason #2: To correct asymmetry. Unlike other “pairs” of things on your body-like arms, legs and ears-it’s pretty common for women to have two different sized breasts, and sometimes the difference is pronounced. Not only can this cause anxiety in the bedroom, but it can make shopping for bras and swimsuits discouraging and confusing (should I go up a size and stuff the smaller side?). Breast implants are just about the only way to even things up. Though the goal may not be to enlarge the bigger breast, women usually receive two implants (of different sizes) because if only one implant is inserted, the breasts will look different over time.
Reason #3: To restore a post-pregnancy bustline. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, but it can wreak havoc on a woman’s breasts. During and after pregnancy, the breasts are on a roller coaster of rapid increases and decreases in size. The result is typically a loss of firmness, elasticity and volume. Breast augmentation can correct these changes. Some women opt for a breast lift instead of, or in addition to, implants. Breast lift boosts, firms and reshapes breast tissue without increasing the cup size. Of course, there’s also the total “mommy makeover,” which not only includes a breast lift and/or breast enhancement, but also liposuction, tummy tuck and other procedures.
Reason #4: To boost breasts after weight loss. Weight loss-especially a significant loss of 30 pounds or more-tends to have the same effect on breasts as pregnancy. While you may be thrilled with your newly svelte body, your breasts may hang like two empty sacks. It’s common for women who feel great after a weight loss to look into augmentation so their breasts look as fantastic as the rest of their bodies.
Reason #5: To reconstruct breasts after cancer. Mastectomy (the removal of one or both breasts) is a fact of life for many women who go through breast cancer treatment. A clean bill of health is the most important outcome, but some survivors choose breast reconstruction, which includes implants, to restore their confidence. With genetic testing more readily available today, some women at high risk of breast cancer decide to proactively undergo mastectomy and reconstruction. In some cases, both procedures can be combined in one surgery.
Mommy Makeover Expectations
During this initial appointment, your doctor should discuss your ideal results and the methods they can use to achieve these results. Since most patients think of implants in terms of cup size, while surgeons refer to implants by their volume, or CCs, it’s important to make sure you are on the same page during this initial consult.
We recommend that you consider bringing in photos showing their ideal silhouette as a reference. You’ll also discuss what type of implants will be used, you should know the differences between saline and silicone gel so you can make the right decision based on your needs.
The procedure itself will take an hour or so, excluding the pre-surgical preparation time and the postoperative recovery. Incision size and placement varies depending on the size and type of implant used as well as the placement. The top doctors will make every effort to minimize scarring, and incisions are usually placed where they will disappear within the natural contours of the breast after healing.
Finding the right plastic surgeon in your city
Do you want to know the key to finding the perfect breast augmentation surgeon? Do your homework when looking for a cosmetic specialist. With the right credentials, your chances of obtaining successful results increase dramatically.
With that said, it’s crucial you know what to look for in your choice of a plastic surgeon. Here are some tips to help you do just that.
Your choice of surgeon should also allow you to share your goals and desires of what your new body will look like. Don’t be afraid to ask him or her many questions in the initial consultation. What to expect before, during and after questions are always appropriate at this time. Other questions such as will there be scarring, pain or any other discomfort are also wise to ask.
It can’t be stressed enough how important it is you do your homework when trying to find the ideal breast augmentation surgeon. It’s a matter of protection for your body, your future and your peace of mind.
Here are our 5 steps that will help you find the right mommy makeover surgeon
1) Choose a Board-Certified Surgeon. Never make a mistake by not looking for this all-important credential. This feature is obtained because they have reached the highest quality of training and skill. Don’t choose a doctor who doesn’t have certification.
Along with certification, there are many cosmetic surgeons in who have never had any formal residency experience. Ask if this is the case in the doctor’s training history.
2) A License. This is vital because it’s the minimum prerequisite for performing plastic surgery in . No state license, no right to practice. It’s as simple as that. A state license is always a public record. Go online to check and be sure your breast augmentation surgeon has one.
3) Certification Verification. Many scams arise from disreputable plastic surgeons who try to fool people into thinking they are certified when they aren’t. You must never take anyone’s word that they are. This can be avoided by contacting your local plastic surgery association and ask if your surgeon choice is indeed certified.
4) Research Malpractice Cases. This is vital. Before you ever sign anything, even after you feel this surgeon may be the one you want, you must find out if there’s a history of malpractice cases. Again, these cases will be public record and your local courthouse will have plenty of records if there are any.
5) We can help. Affordable Mommy Makeovers have partnered with top plastic surgeons for all of your breast augmentation needs. Fill out our free, confidential and secure form so we can have one of our approved doctors contact you immediately. This is a TOTALLY FREE service for you.